Skip to main content

Filming tutorials

I've been testing out some first attempts at making home practice tutorials, with the aim of setting up an online service for distance learning. My aim will be to develop a catalogue of videos from absolute beginner level, with enough detail to learn safely at home, with correct technique.

I also aim to offer follow up, advice, answer questions etc and will include videos for building strength and flexibility at each level, for a complete approach to building pole skills safely.

My first attempts have not been without difficulty. I filmed a mini-workshop this morning that I will have to re-shoot, as the camera was not turned on!

Here is a sample tutorial, aimed at a mid to upper intermediate level. The objective of this video is not to teach the individual moves, but to teach a combination of figures, with a few pointers on maintaining correct technique.

Post your comments and questions below. This is a strength combo that will give your split grip a good workout!

I hope that you enjoy the video and your practice :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole Teacher Training

When I began teaching pole classes back in September 2019, I had a couple of teacher training sessions at one of the studios where I teach. This was valuable in giving me the confidence to plan my first sessions, but I decided that I also wanted to persue an official qualification to teach this sport (even though there is no obligation in Belgium). I turned to Spin City Pole Fitness, a company that I knew and trusted from their Pole Bible and online presence. I chose to begin with the Pole Fitness Beginner's Level course, which took me 6 months to complete in total, allowing for flexibility during busy times and more intense study during quieter moments. Completing this training provided me the validity I was looking for, but also sparked a whole lot more! The more I learnt about effective warming up, for example, the more I sought to discover. I discussed with students of my classes who work in the medical domain, including physiotherapy, who were able to answer my questions...

Discovering the world of PSO

Not one to dwell too long on my disappointment (see my posts about IPSF and the decision to cancel/postpone the 2020 season), I felt the need to refocus my training efforts. I had already looked into the PSO (Pole Sports Organization) in the past, but hadn't wanted to add pressure to my IPSF preparation timeline with a second competition. The PSO exists mainly in the States and serves as a national competition, complete with a final. In Europe, it is also possible to take part in competitions, but each one is a stand-alone entity. Like the IPSF, there is an age category for me (over 40), which is an important consideration. There were a few competitions in Europe coming up: Lausanne in July, which I felt was a bit soon to be sure that it would be held. Then Lisbon in September and Manchester in October. I went for Manchester, as I know it is an easy journey from Brussels and I wanted to experience a competition in the UK. The next task in the application process is choosing a c...

Creating Momentum Pole Sport

 I haven't really had time to update this blog recently, as I've been pouring all of my time and effort into the creation of my pole sport school. On top of that have been holidays, family time, as well as teaching regular classes (3 evenings per week and the occasional private lesson). Perhaps this blog, created out of a need during lockdown, will become more occasional from now on. I will try to add more videos to the stocks, all the same :-). Finally finding a studio for my classes was a huge step, but only the start. Next, I began writing the status for the creation of my association (ASBL) and I created a website. A graphic designer friend kindly created an amazing logo for the studio and it all started falling into place.  Since the creation of the ASBL, I have been able to take out insurance and open a bank account. Of course, there were also the poles to buy! Now I'm just waiting for the last elements; bank card details, delivery of the last pole and confirmation of...