Skip to main content

Virtual Competitions

 Well, here we are in a second lockdown and it's taken me a while to get around to feeling like blogging again. I'll write a separate post about the lockdown, as it's been a little overwhelming and deserves its own discussion.

I wanted to share here my experience of online competitions, which I ended up testing out when the second lockdown hit, forcing me to close my classes at the end of October 2020. I think the initial trigger was the need for something positive to focus on; something that could still drive me forwards while I felt like I was being restrained. 

I decided to use my PSO credit from the cancellation of the Manchester competition and got the last spot for PSO Scorpio. Unfortunately, I rushed the process a little and left myself little time to prepare. I found myself in a situation where I only had one opportunity to film my routine and I had not really explored the choreography and its limitations to a sufficient extent. As bad luck would have it, I also felt mildly ill that week, possibly due to stress with the last classes at the studio or possibly due to contact with people carrying the virus the previous week. The result was a routine with potential, but that I was not happy with as a final performance. I immediately began working on a new routine and resolved to try again as soon as possible.

The day of the Scoprio competition, I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the performances and loved taking part! It was more exciting than I had imagined and really had the feeling of a live competition. I felt all the more encouraged to keep competing. Despite my reservations concerning my performance, I took second place in my category, Championship Level 4 Masters, which I was delighted with!

Realising that the best time to work on competition training is while I have time at home during lockdown and boosted from my Scorpio result, I turned my attentions to the next event and promptly signed up for PSO Sagittarius. The livestream will take place on 12th & 13th December, but I will post my video here afterwards. This time, I learnt from my previous mistakes. I ensured that I would have several opportunities to film and I chose days when I felt physically at my strongest. I wouldn't say that the result is perfect, but it is a huge improvement and that is all I can expect :-). I am proud of this performance, which makes a big difference to me. I am very excited to participate and my final placement is not necessarily a more important result than my own satisfaction!

Throughout this process, I have learnt more about competition technique and preparation, which will inevitably make me a better coach. I now have experience not only of the PSO scoring system, levels and categories, but also of online virtual competitions. When filming my routine, I was surprised to feel the familiar rush of nerves, as if I was going on stage for a real competition and have learnt that the preparation and performance are not as different as one might imagine.

After Sagittarius, I will probably prepare another competition, depending on how long lockdown continues. In the meantime, I am also hoping to coach some other pole athletes and will be putting more time into extending my current online pole class programme.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram Challenges & Confinement Motivation

During this confinement, the pole community has benefitted from its strong online presence. Even if we cannot go to class, we have not lost contact with our pole friends, nor have we stopped supporting and motivating one another. For me, the pole community is like none other; I have honestly never in my life encountered such an inclusive and supportive network, which is not at all impersonalised by its immensity. We have been spoilt for choice of lockdown challenges on Instagram; a great source of motivation to warm up and get on the pole at home, even when lethargy sets in or, as in my case, you need to rebuild your strength following illness. I have been following the Brussels Art & Pole #bxlartpolechallenge, which I will also contribute to next week. Every two days, on-pole and off-pole figures on a given theme are suggested, that you can reproduce, modify or incorporate in a short combo or choreography. Here are some of my participation efforts: "chair", "str

End of Confinement De-Brief (in brief :-))

Since I started this blog during confinement, with the time that was freed up initally when I was ill, it seemed essential to me to write a proper post at this moment of deconfinement in Belgium. On Monday 8th June, I taught my first studio classes since early March! I'm pleased to say that it really was amazing to be back, taking in the exciting atmosphere of long-awaited reunions, not to mention having a full 3 metres of pole to train on, without nearby walls or a tiny stage to restrict me :-). The new hygiene rules will take some adjusting to, but it looks a lot more onerous on paper than it feels in reality. Really, these are common sense and I hope that many of these habits will be adopted long-term in pole classes. Back on a studio pole, at Brussels Art & Pole <3 My daughter also went back to school the same day and my husband is starting to venture into the office a few days a week, so there is quite a shift taking place. The following day, I was able to go b

Mid-May Pole Lockdown: Online classes, choreography & technique work

This month, I have been focusing on developing my online classes, which have been very successful so far. The preparation is challenging, as there is a greater range of level amongst the students taking part than in studio classes. The students must be able to follow my instructions alone, without a partner or physical help, so breaking down moves and giving verbal instructions and demonstrations from multiple angles are key to an enjoyable class, rather than a frustrating one. Step by step instructions, with some tips for en easier entry! Working on choreography for a weekly class is one challenge that I’m pleased to have set for myself. I am gaining confidence in my ability to move, dance and create an artistic performance. Practising these routines adds an interesting variety to my training sessions, which have been getting quite long! In addition to preparing classes and working on choreography, during the past week I have been finding a little time to get back to